Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Flight attending is sounding -real- good right now.

School Site: RHMS
Subject: History. 

Quite possibly the worst assignment I have had thus far was subbing for a substitute. 

First a little background on the day, I had eaten some Del Taco the night before, this included their new carnitas burrito, and a large Vault, 'cause it's the only place that sells it now adays. It was quite delicious, but for some reason this meal was not a team player in the morning, I was nauseous, my head was pounding, and I didn't even drink the night before! I can do my retail job with half a brain but I really do make it a point to get sleep and not drink before I substitute teach, it's taxing enough without strenuous factors I can control. 

My mom has always been big on attendance, I used to joke that she would send me to school regardless of my "ailments." 

"But mom I'm seriously in pain…"
"That's nice honey, put a tourniquet on it and make sure the school calls me if it gets any worse"

So, as I always do I pressed on.  

Enter class from hell; there are a few factors against me in this situation. The teacher for this position was "vacancy" meaning there is no full time teacher for this position, meaning the students have had substitutes since the beginning of the school year and this was at least two months in, can you say "APATHY?" I walk in to a hand written note, because there are no computers in this classroom, a stack of papers,  and some post it notes. This is actually more than a lot of teachers leave except for the fact that I as much as I tried to explain the assignment the students seemed completely lost, as if I was in a science class assigning history work. 

I didn't have a whole lot of time to set up, so I hand out the assignment to the first class, do a super impromptu explanation of the assignment, and send the kids on their way.On top of this I get a note and another stack of papers from another class "Please do this assignment today." Crap, ok so once again I had to work quickly to figure out and explain the assignment, this reminds me of stand up, without the comedy.  During my explanation I ask the students to be quiet multiple times, I address one student in particular, who rolls her eyes and continues talking... really? Alrighty off to the office you go! "What did I do wrong?!?" >.<  This is not the first time I have had trouble with this student, the previous time it took about 5 minutes for me to calm her down and explain that is she just gave me a -moment- to explain the assignment she wouldn't be so lost. This student is apparently a moron however because she just continued to talk over me, 

"Why do I have to do this assignment?" 
" well if.." 
"I already did this," 
" Ok, but…" 
" You're making us do stuff I did already!"
"PLEASE LET ME TALK!"

Guh! Incredibly frustrating and rude! You're at school to listen to the teacher, whoever that may be for the day, and do work, there is no need to argument, this is not a Democracy, I'm not asking you to do hard labor, I just want you to write on your paper for 50 minutes, THAT's ALL, sit down, shut up and stop being so rude! Is what I wish I could have said.

Headache not gone yet. 

Incident #2 (still first period) 

I understand having a sub is seen as a "free day" the student has no need to make an emotional connection for the day, I will not be able to obtain their respect within this day. This is also apparently a time to use the restroom, I usually feel out the class, and try to let those classes go to the restroom who will not abuse this freedom. Once one person goes to the restroom it's sometimes downhill from there, all of the sudden there is a line I'm having kids take a number and everyone want to go out for some fresh air. My only request is they ask, do not tell me they are going to the restroom, I'm the captain of the ship, for the day,  and if someone gets hurt while they are out of my sight that is on me. 

This one student decided to -tell me- he was going to the restroom, my response to this of course is "No." He continued to ask, and I continued to deny him, until he just walked out. You can tell if someone really has to go, you can see the, floating, or dancing, or some kind of tell, this punk just wanted to roam around, which I probably would have let do if he just -asked-. No such luck, I call security, and have them pick him up, he comes in quietly later and picks up his work, which he wasn't doing anyway. 

Did I mention this was still only first period? The classes that followed were slightly more mellow, but once again they did not have a full time teacher, so there was no set order, no discipline plan was really in effect aside from the school's discipline plan, which the students were not intimidated by what so ever, it was a mess. 

This was the only assignment I have thought of walking out on, seriously. What's the worse that could happen? I get fired, I move on  and become a flight attendant, travel around a little bit, this seemed a far more enticing option that day. I stuck it out, however, I came back, regrouped, explained things in even more detail, and made sure to set down my expectations at the beginning of class. 

Yes, I did apply for this position, if you were curious, there were actually a few available throughout the district, and I just kept thinking how ironic it would be if I ended up with this class. My immediate reaction was just to write a referral a day until the students got the message, but I didn't end up getting the job, for better or for worse, I'm not sure.

I survived, but I learned some very valuable lessons, Vault no longer agrees with me,  and if I see "vacancy," unless it's roving, I should think three times before taking the assignment.  I have avoided assignments at this school since this day. I did my student teaching at a middle school, I'm actually used to this craziness, but the kids at this school are even too much for me to handle.  

1 comment: